Green Tea Skin-Care Products
Did you know that many commercial skin products contain green tea? That’s right, the very same green tea which you drink and which is known for its assorted medicinal uses and health benefits. What most people are not aware of however are the beneficial effects green tea has on our skin. Some of the many contemporary skin products containing green tea in their ingredients include shampoos, deodorants, soaps, suntan lotions, moisturizers, anti-aging creams, deep-cleansing facial masks, and more. Homemade green tea solutions are also effective for soothing and cleansing the skin, and green tea bags can be applied directly to affected skin areas to soothe, provide relief, and promote healing.
Green Tea Antioxidant Properties
How does green tea help your skin? The answer has to do with the antioxidants found in green tea. First, let’s review what oxidation means and how it affects your skin. Oxidation is a natural chemical reaction by which free radical molecules found in the environment or in food attack the skin, causing tissue damage and aging. Oxidation is thus responsible for many of the wrinkles or lines which develop in your skin. Antioxidants inhibit the actions of free radicals, thereby reducing wrinkles and improving your skin.
The main antioxidant found in green tea is epigallocatechin3-gallate, or EGCG. Scientific studies demonstrate that EGCG is one of the most powerful antioxidant agents (more powerful than vitamin C and vitamin E), and that green tree applied directly to the skin helps block sun-induced skin cancer. In addition, green tea has been shown to effectively hydrate the skin.
5 Skin Conditions Helped by Green Tea
Here are some of the ways in which green tea contributes to healthy and youthful skin:
- Green tea increases skin elasticity, giving your skin a more youthful appearance
- Green tea helps prevent/reduce wrinkles, acne, sunburn, rosacea, psoriasis, and other skin ailments
- Green tea inhibits dark spot and freckle formation
- Green tea reduces the risk of Rheumatoid arthritis
- Green tea refreshes, soothes, and protects the skin
Green Tea Facial Moisturizers
Some popular types of green tea facial moisturizers include:
- Green tea acne moisturizer/green tea acne medication (wherein green tea calms redness and helps prevent scarring)
- Green tea moisturizer for oily skin
- Green tea moisturizer for sensitive skin (these products are often fragrance-free and hypoallergenic, making them a good selection for allergy sufferers and for individuals whose skin reacts negatively to other moisturizers)
- Daytime green tea moisturizers
- Night green tea moisturizers (featuring a higher concentration of antioxidants for more intensive skin repair)
How to Prepare a Green Tea Cleansing/Soothing Solution
Here is a homemade recipe for preparing a green tea cleansing/soothing solution:
- Use plain, unflavored, and unscented green tea leaves
- Boil 1 cup of tea leaves in water for 20 minutes
- Cool and strain the liquid, storing it in a sterile bottle
Top 10 Green Tea Solution Uses for Your Skin
Here are some of the uses of a green tea cleansing/soothing solution for your skin:
- Prevent skin aging, wrinkles, and dark circles
- Refreshing face splash
- Foot refresher
- Anti-fungal foot soak
- Facial mask for acne problems
- Sooth minor cuts, abrasions, and rashes
- Sooth sunburns (dip a cloth in green tea solution and place on sunburned area)
- Reduce puffy, red eyes
- Refresh and sooth tired/strained eyes (Dip a cotton pad in green tea solution – or use an actual green tea bag – and place gently on the eyelids); a cost-effective alternative to expensive eye creams and eye masks!
- Sooth cracked/bleeding nipples resulting from breastfeeding
If you’re looking for way to rejuvenate after a long day or for a splash of refreshment, give yourself of splash of green tea solution!